Sunday, June 22, 2008

Lost a friend.

Got some sad news the other day, my long time friend (and helicopter pilot) Bob died from extremely aggressive Cancer.

The obituary gives a little insight into his life... but the short of it is that he was a great guy and will be missed by many. Bob gave me my first job at Systems/Link, and were friends from the first few minutes of the interview. He was just a good guy.

Bob's announcement of his situation is a good example of how he lived his life; honest, direct and to the point.
Dear friends,

They say that sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you. This time it looks like the bear is going to get me...

The short of it is that last week I was diagnosed with a fairly unusual lung cancer. (For Dr. Rob, it's a small cell cancer). Without treatment it is fatal. With treatment (chemotherapy) there are three possible outcomes:

1. The chemo knocks it out entirely. This happens in a very small number of cases.
2. The chemo fails to stop the cancer. Life expectancy is very short, but like number 1, it is a rare outcome.
3. The chemo causes remission. This is by far the most likely scenario, but if the cancer comes back it is very difficult to treat. Life expectancy is on the order of a year or two.

I start the first course of chemo on Wednesday (4/23).

Excuse me for sending this via email, but I wanted to get the word out to my friends before any rumors started.

Mentally, I'm determined to fight this thing any way I can. And as soon as the symptoms disappear as a result of treatment, I aim to get flying again in that beautiful helicopter we own. Adam and Richard: that means that I intend to fly into Adam's fly-in in May!

As things change in any great way, I'll let you all know...

--
Bob
"It takes infinitely more knowledge and skill to stop, and then land, than it does to land, and then stop!" Dr. Sergi Sikorsky (son of Igor Sikorsky)
http://www.bobanddusty.com

Bob died, one month after his first treatment.


He went out on his terms, and you can only respect that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry to hear that. I don't think I ever met Cap't Bob, but I really enjoyed reading his comments on your blog.