Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Flying with the big-boys!

Flight #: 081 [Commercial VFR61]
CFI: Kristie E.
Aircraft: Robinson R22 Beta II
Aircraft ID: N8361N
Duration, PIC: 1.7hrs
Cumulative Time: 97.6hrs

Today was a totally new experience for me I got to:

  • fly in 12 knot wind
  • talk to Portland Approach and Portland Tower
  • get made fun of by Portland Approach
  • fly into PDX (Portland International Airport), a Class C airspace - WAY cool
All in all, good day.

Started out with wind. So far in my training I have been avoiding, correctly, higher winds. Mainly because there is no reason to make your life tough when flying if you don't need to. But, as with anything, you need to stretch a little to build muscle. And there really is not anything better than wind for a stretch.

There are 5 things that really effect a helicopter's performance. High, Hot, Heavy, Humid and Wind. I'm heavy, so when flying with Kristy we always have this as an issue. We generally don't fly into high altitudes, so this is not a big one. Hot is a big deal in the summer... today was 90º. Humid... its Oregon... so yes. But, not in the summer. The other one, Wind. Today was 12knots... significant in a little helicopter like the R22.

Anyway, this just meant that I had to be on my game with the pedals today... expect the unexpected.

The departure was fine, albeit a little bumpy. I had a heavy right cross wind on pickup, so it was a little messy. Once I got things under control, we headed north for our leg to Happy Valley. I decided to use VFR flight following again, as it is nice to have someone else looking out for you. I called it in, and we were on our way.

Now, this airport is a private airport, and is not to be used for landing, but we can use it as a fly-over destination. Problem is, this little sucker looks like a road between two houses on the side of a mountain. Took me forever to find it. I kept doing circles looking for it. I was focusing on the valley floor, but there really was no point in doing that because it WAS ON THE SIDE OF A MOUNTAIN. Who would put an airport on the side of a mountain? Geez!

Anyway, after my 5th circle over the general area, Portland Approach (VFR Flight Following)
came on the radio. The conversation went like this:

Portland Approach: "November, 956, Siera, Hotel, how do you read?"
Me: "Loud and clear, go ahead."
PA: "How long do you plan to go around in circles up there?"
Me: "Uh, I suppose a little longer. Still looking for Happy Valley Airport"
(Kristy is cracking up, sitting in the passenger seat.)
PA: "Well, would you like a little help in locating the airport?"
Me: "Sure, that would be great, thanks."
PA: "It is at your 9 O'clock, almost directly below you."
Me: "Thanks. Will report in sight."
PA: "I'll be here."
(5 seconds later)
Me: "Happy Valley in sight. Apparently it was hiding from me."

I know they are there to help me... but I was embarrassed. Fact is, this is one hell of a hard airport to find. It is in the middle of the trees... has two HUGE houses on either end... and on the side of a mountain. It even looks like the airport can be used as a road to get to the houses down the hill a bit.

Now I know.

Anyway, once I found it, I requested a transition through PDX airspace to Pierson airport. Pierson is unique in that it is an untowered class Delta airspace, nestled in to a class Charlie airspace.

This means that you need to talk to Portland Tower to get in/out of Pierson.

The Portland Approach operator had me transfer to Portland Tower. I changed frequencies, and asked for the clearance. They granted it, and asked me to head directly from Happy Valley to the downtown Convention Center, then head north and cross over the PDX runways at the tower at 1500 feet. I've got to say, it is incredibly cool to fly over a big airport like this and watch jets landing and taking off at the same time. Generally you don't get to see a jet land when you are directly above.

After watching a few planes, we crossed the river into Washington state, and headed west towards Pierson. Wind was blowing HARD from the west, and I came in for a landing. We pulled off onto the hoverpads and Kristie had me do a few 90º pedal turns in 12knot wind. Tricky, but I pulled them off pretty nicely. Certainly not my best work, but I've never been in 10 knot wind before. So, I felt pretty good.

We headed out, and talked to Portland Tower, once again, to get approval for a west departure. If you look at the map above, you will see that the Pierson airspace "opens" to the North West. If we head out that way, there is no need to cross in to PDX Airspace... and they appreciate that.

Once out of the airspace, we headed west back to HAI.

Landing was, again, pretty hairy in that wind (now 15, gusting 20), but it was good practice.



View Larger Map

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That conversation with Portland Approach was hilarious. I would never have guess that is how it works...