Thursday, August 28, 2008

Robinson Safety Course: Torrance, CA


Flight #: 095 [Commercial VFR61]
CFI: Derek
Aircraft: Robinson R22 Beta II
Aircraft ID: N42059
Duration, as PIC: 1.1hrs
Cumulative Time: 116.8hrs

During August 24th to August 28th I was in Torrance, CA for the Robinson Helicopter Corporation Safety Course. The safety course is designed to explain the intimate details of the R22 and R44 helicopters so you learn to safely take the helicopter into the full range of its abilities.

One word... awesome.

Not only did I get to fly around Compton, CA... yup, Compton. As in South Central, LA. Bloods & Cripps. But I got to fly some of the most amazing maneuvers with a Robinson Test Pilot in a brand new R22. See, each time a helicopter leaves the factory, it needs to be ground tested, flight tested, and then maneuver tested. I get to fly (with the test pilot) the helicopter for the maneuver tests. I was the third person to fly this helicopter, and it had 3.2hrs on it. Sweet!

The class was about 60 people from all areas of the world, all experience levels, and all jobs. I was in the class with people from the LA Police Department as well as some guys from Brooklyn PD. People in training, like me, an others that have been flying professionally for 20 years.

Very cool stuff!


No comments: