Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Commercial Night Flight - North

Flight #: 121 Commercial VFR61
CFI: Kristie E.
Aircraft: Robinson R22 Beta II
Aircraft ID: N856HA
Duration, as PIC: 3.1hrs
Cumulative Time: 152.9hrs

Knocked out another night cross country flight. This time, we went North into Washington. The interesting stuff on this flight was that neither Kristie or I had been this far North before... neither day nor night. So, it was fun for us both.

Since for night flights you stick to lighted areas, we fly over I5. That takes us right into PDX airspace... and actually right across the approach path for PDX's runways. This is not a problem... since you are on with PDX Tower at all times, but it does make for some interesting situations.
Me: "Portland Approach, Helicopter 856HA, one-thousand-five-hundred feet, 11 South-West with request."
PDX: "Helicopter 856HA, Portland Approach, go ahead."
ME: "Request transition through the airspace to the north, via I5"
PDX: "Squawk 0124 and Ident"
ME: "Squawk 0124 and Ident, 856HA"
PDX: "Radar contact, 6HA, maintain 1500ft, remain on or west of I5, Transition Approved"
ME: "Remain west of I5, maintain 1500ft, transition approved, 6HA"
So, we keep putting along at a slow, but adequate pace of about 75kias to the north, and we see that we're coming to the approach path for PDX's active runway. Not a problem, PDX tower is aware of us, and knows what we want... but it is still funny looking out the right window and seeing the airport... then out the left at a line of jets lining up for a landing.
PDX: "Helicopter 856HA, I've got some jets coming in, I may need to vector you for spacing."
ME: "Roger, 6HA"
...puttering along...
PDX: "Helicopter 856HA, 30º to your left, I'm going to bring this jet in."
ME: "30º left, 6HA"
Now, at this point, we are about 5 miles from the jet... but headed directly towards them. They are crossing our path, left to right... quite a bit faster than we are. The is no chance for collision, but is does feel weird. He is descenting as well, so the controller is just giving the jet more time to descend, before sending us behind him.
PDX: "Helicopter 856HA, 20º to your right, pass behind the jet landing 10R, climb and maintain 3000ft. Caution for wake turbulence."
ME: "20º right, behind the jet, climbing to 3000ft. Cution for wake turbulence. 6HA"
OK, so as you might imagine the wake of a landing jet is quite intense... in any aircraft, let alone a tiny little R22. Wake turbulence always falls and is behind an aircraft. SO, if you cross their path above and in front of their line of travel, you will be fine. Only problem is that an R22 does not climb so fast. I start a 1000ftp climb, and make it to 3000ft well before any point of concern, but what ends up happening is that we are about 1500ft above the jet while it lands. Directly above. Got to tell you, that was pretty interesting to see.

Rest of the flight was pretty uneventful. Easy to follow the road all the way up to Chehalis, where we refueled. Turned around and headed back home the same route.

All in all, pretty good night.

Now that I have the north and south run down, I'll pick and choose which one to do for my upcoming 5hrs of night solos. Actually, I'm going to try to knock those guys out pretty quickly as the days are getting longer and I'd rather not be leaving for my night flight at 9pm.


View Larger Map

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm training for my commercial up here in Alaska and was wondering about the night VFR requirements. I noticed you are doing all yours X-C. Is that for the experience? We have to have 5 hours with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings at a controlled airport but we don't have to solo x-c at night. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something that I'm not aware of. BTW I really enjoy your BLOG and follow your training and have learned quite a bit from your posts. I can tell you'll be a great CFI someday. Thanks abbott2005 at gci dot net

Chris said...

Thanks for leaving a note.

I'm glad you enjoy it... it is fun for me, and it is a great way to re-play the events of the day. Helps me to cement the concept in my mind.

To answer your question...

The requirements for the commercial rating are as follows: (Full details in FAR §61.129(c))

While I know there are some special Alaska requirements, my understanding is that these should be the same for you and I.

150 Total flight hours.
100 Pilot in Command of which
- 50 Cross Country PIC
- 10 PIC IFR
- 10 Solo PIC, of which
- 5 Night
- 5 Day

Double check §61.129(c)(4)(i-ii).
(4) 10 hours solo flight in a helicopter on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(3) of this part, which includes at least -
(i) One cross-country flight with landings at a minimum of three points, with one segment consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 50nm from the original point of departure; and
(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern).


So, to me it sounds like you do have to do the solos for those 5 hrs.

I'd be really curious if you have different requirements. Please do comment and let me know.

I'm actually off for a Solo Night X/C tonight. Going to re-do the south path I blogged about earlier.

Check back for an updated post... or better yet, hook up to the RSS feed. :)

I've got some GPS software I've been using to track my flight from a PDA I leave under my seat.