Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I'm a certified Commercial Pilot: VFR61 Rotocraft:Helicopter:Commercial!

Flight #: 142 Commercial VFR61
Aircraft: Robinson R22 Beta II
Aircraft ID: N956SH
Duration, as PIC: 1.1hrs
Cumulative Time: 184.40hrs

WooHoo! Passed my Check Ride today! So it is official, I'm a FAA Certified Commercial Helicopter Pilot as of 1:00pm today.

Oral test went very well... definitely was prepared. Actually, it was pretty easy. My Check Ride
for Private was a bear. Not only cause it was the first time I've done a test like that but my examiner, Dale, was one tough dude. This one was with Mark H, and while they both are required to follow the same PTS (Practical Test Standards), the oral exam is all about presentation. Mark was friendly throughout the whole process... not easy, friendly. I did not feel like I was in a battle, but a conversation with someone who knows a hell of a lot more than me. Mark was very much by the book. He had an interesting way of asking questions. He would start with an FAA approved/required question. Then follow it up with a related question that was not necessarily in the PTS. Something that required a little extra knowledge, discussion or interpolation. I learned a few things out of the whole event.

The flight itself was equally as rewarding. Really by the book. One bit that I found particularly interesting was the off airport portion. We flew west, out to the WPA (West Practice Area) and picked out a clear-cut logging peak. I actually started an approach, downhill, but did a "go around" when I realized that was not the best of my options even though it was directly in to the wind. Got to watch that tail-rotor you know.


View Larger Map


Anyway, other than that... I'd say I was spot on for the flight.

Damn, feels good to have that under my belt.

Down:
  • HAI Written Exam : Pass : 97%
  • FAA Written Exam: Pass : 96%
  • HAI Commercial Oral Exam : Pass
  • HAI Commercial Flight : Pass
  • FAA Commercial Oral Exam : Pass
  • FAA Commercial Check Ride Flight : Pass

5 comments:

Jeff Abbott said...

Hi Chris - that's excellent, congratulations! What a huge accomplishment. I just passed a mile stone myself, went over 100 hrs PIC time. All other squares are filled as well, just need a few hours check ride prep and brush up on the oral stuff again. I head to the "Safety Course" on the 14th this month. After that come back and hopefully pass the Commercial check ride.
~Jeff
Alaska

Chris said...

Nice!

The Safety Course is great. Lots of good information contained in those few days. Made some good friends as well.

Best part of the whole trip, the flight with the Test Pilot. AMAZING to see what someone of their skill can do in one of those birds.

Just wait for the cork-screw-zero-airspeed-autorotation. Wow!

Jeff said...

Chris - who did you fly with at the Safety Course? I'm looking forward to the excellent Chinese food at the hotel and the flight w/ zero airspeed cork screw auto. Hmmm maybe I should wait and eat the Chinese food after the flight ;-}.
~Jeff

Chris said...

Derek. Can't remember his last name... but he was Hawaiian I think. Build like a fireplug... and flew like the thing was an extension of his hand.

FAA Test said...

Congrates & all the best for the future.