Wednesday, June 3, 2009

FoIs at HAI

Backdated.


I have decided to stick with HAI for a number of reasons.  As usual with a big decision I make pro / con lists.  (This is the actual list I made, I found the post-it note in my 2009 FAR/AIM)

Pro
  1. They are very close to my home.  15 minute drive.
  2. I'm familiar with the airspace, the airport and the school itself.
  3. I have invested lots of $$$ in the school so far.
  4. The school is very well known in the industry.


Con
  1. They treat their CFIs pretty poorly.
  2. Their program is longer and more expensive than some others.
  3. This will be a group training setup, not 1 on 1.
Pro's won.  I signed up and have been working the Fundamentals of Instruction for a few weeks.  


We are in a semi-convenient group classroom setting.  It is not ideal, but it is what it is.


My concern about being CFI trained by a new CFI has pretty much been removed. We have been working with the Chief Flight Instructor for this portion of our training.


This is both good and bad.  We have the expertise at the ready, but are not his first priority.  There have been quite a few instances where he has either forgotten to tell us class is canceled due to a conflict, and we find out when we walk into the room.  Or, he just has to cancel class because of prior commitments.  Not ideal.


Quality of the course is spot on, so it is hard to complain about that.





No comments: