Monday, September 10, 2007

First Flight

Flight #: 001
CFI: Gabe J.
Aircraft:
Schweizer 300C IFR
Aircraft ID: N27YS
Duration: 0.4hrs


Today I had my "demo flight". Wow!

It had to have been one of the most exciting things I've ever done. The best part of the whole flight was when I was given control of the collective and cyclic (no anti-torque pedals, this time) for about half of the flight.

The most surprising thing to me during the whole experience was the minimal pressure needed to change direction. The cyclic can move approximately 1 foot in any direction:

  • left: roll left
  • right: roll right
  • fore: pitch nose down - forward flight
  • aft: pitch nose up - backwards flight
However, only 1 inch adjustments move the helicopter significantly.

I was trying to describe it... and the best I can do is this - when driving down the road in your car at 75mph, you don't really turn the wheel, you make minute adjustments continually to adjust direction. It is probably unconscious, but if you think about it next time, you have ± 5º changes a few times a minute.

The most cyclic movement happened when I was moving forward (50-70 knots) and banking into a turn - maybe 2 inches of cyclic movement. This caused a significant banking and was, at first, a bit un-settling. Obviously this is a feeling one gets used to, but looking out the window at the ground at a 30º angle does give an interesting sensation.

Did I mention the helicopter did not have any doors?

Anyway, here is a Google Map estimate of the flight path - I've got to admit I was pretty focused on flying, but I do remember quite a few landmarks.


View Larger Map

3 comments:

Unknown said...

No doors? That tears it. You're certifiable. Kidding! I'm thinking this wins the prize for Coolest Thing One of My Friends Has Done (tm).

Anonymous said...

Well, yeah. Every year in the spring when we take the doors oof of our 2-seater, the first time I look down at the ground when I making a right turn out of the traffic pattern, I'm like "oh crap", (for a brief second), I'm gona fall out of this helicopter. But. Really important. It hasn't happened yet!

Unknown said...

Glad you are enjoying it - sounds exciting and fun !