Monday, September 3, 2007

Lets check this out...

I've always been fascinated with helicopters - the motion, the physics of helicopter flight and just their overall look. Don't know... just do.

Anyway, after a series of serendipitous events over the past few weeks I've decided that I need to know a little more about helicopters and the training that goes into becoming a pilot. So, I set up an appointment for a quick tour / walk through of Hillsboro Aviation's campus and airport.

I was surprised to learn that Hillsboro Aviation is well known in the industry and is in the top tier of helicopter and airplane pilot training programs. Apparently it has to do with the geographical and weather diversity in the Pacific Northwest. Within 60 minutes you can fly over oceans, coastline, mountain ranges, forests, deserts and cities. All of this, of course, with the ever present possibility of PNW mist, rain and cloud cover.

With all this... I just had to visit and see for myself what it really takes.

Hillsboro Aviation has posted their promotional video for viewing, if the mood strikes you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

+50 points for using the word 'serendipitous ' correctly in a sentence.