Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I'm hooked! No question.

The tour was very interesting. I got a chance to see the entire school, sit in a few helicopters, walk through various hangars and meet the dispatch team. All very impressive.

Learned a lot as well. First, it's not going to be cheap. Each flight requires that you rent the time in a helicopter, pay for fuel and also pay for the instructors time. To receive FAA Part 141 certification, a Private Pilot's License, you will need a minimum of:
  • 31 Dual Hours (Student + Instructor)
  • 5 Solo Hours
  • 35 Ground Hours
  • 10 Pre- & Post- Flight Instruction
  • 18 Hours video review
They stress this is all minimum requirements and that the majority of students are +20% on top of this.

With all of this... I still am going for it. The prospect of flying is just too enticing to let a little work get in the way.

I submitted my application. Still need to get my FAA Class II Medical examination, before I can start, but I've got some time - class starts October 8th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris --

You don't need a class anything medical to start training. You need a class III (not II) to solo.

Unknown said...

Why do you need 35 hours on the ground in order to fly? :D