Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The coolest brother in the world!


You know, what they say... it is good to have friends in high places. It is actually even better to have them in geeky places.

If you remember, I asked my brother for a feature to be added to Google's SMS toolkit - a METAR keyword. This would allow anybody with a SMS capable phone to check weather before a flight... basically something every pilot does. Now it happens either via radio in the cockpit right before a flight... but it is nice to know before you have the engine running. You may not be able to fly.

Currently, many of the HIO pilots use some PCs in the dispatch room to do this check. It is kind of a pain... this would make things much faster and more efficient. Google's primary reason for existing.

Well, he did it... it's live!

Thanks Charlie!

How cool is that?



Being a geek... Charlie had to hide a few easter eggs in this.

Every time it references an airport in an example or as as the usage statement in an error response, it will use my local airport, KHIO or EHAM. I understand KHIO... but EHAM? That is Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam. It is often wise to not question the mind of a geek... but hey, brotherly privilege. So, at 11:59pm I speak to Charlie and ask:

Chris: "Hey Char, what's with EHAM? I get KHIO, thanks... but EHAM."
Charlie: "Yea, I picked that."
Chris: "Why EHAM, have you ever been to Amsterdam?"
Charlie: "No, I like bacon. So, ham... EHAM."

At 12:01 AM it went live to the world... adding an amazingly valuable feature to Google SMS and proclaiming by brother's love for Ham.

Spread it around. People need to know about this... it is awesome.

Thanks bro!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well... I *do* like ham. :-)

Glad I could help in some small way with the "helicopter project"!