Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mixin' it up

Flight #: 031
CFI: Garreth E.
Aircraft: Robinson R22 Beta II
Aircraft ID: N8361N
Duration: 1.1hrs
Cumulative Time: 34.2hrs

My flight this morning was canceled due to Wx (weather) issues... icing mist at 0ft. So, so flight.

Later in the afternoon I got a SMS from Kristie asking if I was available, last minute, for a flight. I'm always ready for a flight! So, I sped over to HAI. When I got there Garreth, another CFI, was the one with a helicopter and training slot. So, it was Garreth and I today.

This was great practice for me... because not only did I have to prove myself to a new CFI, but I also had to get used to their method of training.


Now, I can't prove it, but I think Garreth was messing with me during the pre-flight. There were about 8 things which were out of their normal setting. For example, the transponder is normally set to 1200... this time it was at 1100. The clutch was engaged, the altimeter was set to 400ft below sea level, and a number of fuses were pulled. I caught 'em all. Which is, of course why they would test me.

Other than that the flight was pretty normal. Hovers, auto rotations, patterns, quick stops, etc. Garreth introduced slope landings which, as Garreth said, is where most landing occur. Rarely do you actually get to land on a flat surface. Good point.

All in all, a very good flight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, slope landings. I suspect the reason that they teach them is not so much because you'll need to do many of them, but rather, to teach you better cyclic and collective control. In all the off airport landings I've made, I can't recall one where I couldn't find a flat spot!

Hey, the xponder in your picture looks like it belongs in a museum! I haven't seen one of those since many moons ago when I was a fixed-wing student! Same for the radio (I assume it's Comm 2, because it looks like there's a GPS/Comm 1 above it in the stack). :)