Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Stage 1 Ground Test - Passed!

Passed it!

It was great, really nailed it. I studied like madman, and it paid off. Take a look:
Airspace Study Sheet
Stage 1 Q&A Review Document
Stage 1 - Pre Solo Questions

A new CFI, Richard O. was my CFI for this oral test. Richard will also be my CFI for the flight tomorrow.

I did make a few mistakes, stupid stuff.

I switched up some airspace information that was OBVIOUSLY wrong. He asked me to re-explain it... and I caught it. Probably nerves more than anything. If you are really interested in the details, I grouped Bravo, Charlie and Delta airspaces together when talking about VFR cloud clearances and flight visibility minimums. It should have been Charlie, Delta and Echo.

I was asked a question about translational tendency and I answered correctly, but could not completely explain the details. Translational Tendency is the tendency for the helicopter to drift to the right when in a hover. One can counteract this tendency in a few ways. First, you can hold the cyclic to the left. Second, you could re-adjust the cyclic so that when centered in the cockpit it has a little left already built in, or Third, you could have the main rotor mast tilted to the right. I got all that correct.

Follow up question was why. I said that it was from the thrust generated by the tail rotor keeping our MR torque in check. Which is correct, but not entirely correct. There is a component of rotational torque from the main rotor wanting us to yaw right. Then there is the anti-torque tail rotor system, keeping us from yawing right... and then the thrust of the tail rotor... which it pushing us to the right. Hence the tendency to translate to the right.

Other than that, I was spot on.

We did get in to some interesting discussions about radio failure and chip detectors. Wanna hear? Sure...

If I were on a solo, what would I do if I had a radio failure before entering Hillsboro airspace while coming back from Scappoose? First I would make sure I was on the right channel, then I would verify that I had the volume up and loud enough. Then, I'd check fuses. Then, I'd make sure my headset was still plugged in.

Once all the obvious stuff was taken care of, I'd just assume we had a radio failure. So, I'd set the transponder to 7600 and climb to 1500 feet so that my transponder signal could be picked up on radar. I would keep making my radio calls and I just might not be able to hear them... they might be able to hear me.

Anyway, I actually asked this question when we went to visit the tower at KHIO. They said the best and easiest thing... is to put the helicopter down somewhere - in a field, parking lot, etc and pick up the cell phone and call the tower. Tell them where I am, get permission and let them know where I am.

Now, here is where Richard got sneaky... say I don't have my phone. (Which, I assure you, will never happen. But, it MIGHT be out of battery.) I'd actually land in a field or some huge back yard. I can almost guarantee that if I landed in your back yard you would let me use your phone.

But, I get the point... no communication with the tower.



For this, it would be good to understand the layout of the airport.
I said that I would be flying in from the north, coming across the ridge, and stay to the east of runway 20. I'd be sure not to cross the extended runway line and come in for an approach to Bravo taxiway. (East of the N/S runway on the north side.). At this point, I would go to the runway intersection hold short line and wait for light signals from the tower.

Richard said
, if I were to do this, I should toggle my landing lights... just so the tower could be sure to see me. They would hopefully be clearing traffic out of my path, but just to make sure... flash away.

Now, this would probably work, but Richard suggested another, better, option. Skirt the airport airspace to the east, and enter from the south so that I did not have to cross any runway to get to parking. OR, fly over the airspace and come down on the south side for the approach. Since HIO is class Delta airspace, this would mean that I would have to be higher than 2500ft AGL, or 2700ft MSL.

Good to know, I really never thought about the scenario before... so this was a good discussion.

Next question was... I'm 8 miles out and get a main rotor chip light. What do I do?

The chip light goes on when a metallic particle is detected. Obviously, there should not be much metal floating around in the gear boxes... so clearly a bad thing. The POH states that if this chip light is accompanied with noise, vibration or an increase in heat... land immediately. However, if none of these secondary indications appear, land when practical. I got that right... but that was the book answer.

Richard said that I should get to the ground as fast and safely as possible. I happen to agree... but I gave the book answer. So, while technically correct, practically I should just get the hell down.

Other than that... very successful session. Felt really good... and I passed.

On to the flight with Richard, tomorrow at 9:30am.

No comments: