Monday, February 18, 2008

You can't fight the tower. You always lose.

Flight #: 040
CFI: Kristie H.
Aircraft: Robinson R22 Beta II
Aircraft ID: N8340S
Duration: 1.0hrs
Cumulative Time: 44.6hrs

I was feeling OK this morning. My sinus has cleared up a but, and the aches had pretty much gone away. I was ready for one last flight before my Stage 1 Check ride.

We got Alpha pattern and headed out for the pre-flight. It was an absolutely beautiful day. 3-5 knot wind, sun, cool air... perfect day for flight. Wind was out of the East, so runway 12 was active. The meant that Alpha taxiway was going to be in heavy use, but this is generally not a problem as the tower gives helicopters permission to do patterns even though airplanes are taxiing - we just don't fly over/near them.

Today was apparently different. I started off with a normal takeoff and an approach to Golf-intersection on Alpha Taxiway but were quickly blocked by a private plane. No problem, we deflected off into the grass for a bit as not to overfly him, and then vectored back on to the taxiway. At about 40ft, a jet turned on to the taxiway from a hanger and started towards us. Kristie grabbed the controls and got us back over the grass. Apparently this happens from time to time... they "just don't see us". I find this a little odd, since we do have a 20 foot spinning blender blade 8 feet off the ground... but hey, not everyone has good eyesight. So, I did a go around. As I passed the tower, I notified them of the go-around.

Ok, here we go again... normal pattern to land on Golf-intersection. A little congested, but no problem, and I came to a hover. I turned into the patter to check for traffic and off my right shoulder I saw a prop plane come off the runway and turn my direction. He's supposed to stop and wait for us to get out of the way... but no. Headed straight for us. Did not even hesitate. So, I pulled off, quickly into the grass to get away. Good thing, too... cause he had no intention of even slowing. Nice.

So, as I continue to hover there in the grass, we hear someone in Charlie pattern request normal pattern. No response from the tower. But, that's not unusual when there is lots of traffic in the air/ground, you just wait your turn. So, he waits... we wait. After a minute Kristie suggests that I just make my call to get in line. I do. Halfway through, I get stepped on by someone asking for takeoff clearance. The tower services his request and then continues on with someone else. Again, this happens... but it is rather odd that it is happening to us more than once in one session. The helicopter in Charlie requests again. No response. So, I request and get a response this time... only it is not very pleasant = "All helicopters, stand by."

W.T.F.?

Never heard that one before. So, I wait. And wait. And wait. Planes continue to get clearance to do whatever they request. Now it is about 7 minutes since my last request. I look over to Kristie to get the vibe and find out what to do next. She's pissed. So, I request, AGAIN. "40S, standby." And he continues to give clearance to aircraft to taxi, takeoff and land. One after another. Finally Kristy boils over and says "I have controls." and takes the helicopter. She moves it on to the taxiway and sets it down. Dead smack in the middle of the taxiway. Now, we have been assigned this pattern... so it is technically our space to use. And we sit.

Along comes a LARGE twin engine just... up the taxiway wanting to take off on runway 12. But, we're in the way. Clearly Kristie is trying to get the tower's attention. Still we sit. The jet comes to a stop, and we all sit. Then, over the radio, "40S, exit the taxiway immediately." So, we pick up, move to the grass and hover. When the jet passes, we go back and set down in the same spot. Meanwhile, other fixed wing traffic is making requests and getting clearance... no clearances to any helicopter, anywhere.

So, there we sit.

And again, along comes a fixed wing. And we get ordered off the taxiway again by the tower.

This time, Kristie gives me back the controls and says, "might as well request to go back home, if they will let us... we're just wasting money." She was absolutely right... burning fuel and cash just hovering in the grass.

So, I try one more time for a pattern. "40S request Alpha." Nothing from the tower. So, I request a path back home.... "40S request HAI". "40S, cross runway 2, precede to HAI".

Dick.

So, we went home. Before I shut down the helicopter, Kristie was out and on her way in to talk to the chief flight instructor for HAI. I shut down the helicopter and signed out... then headed home.

Clearly something was going on. And someone was getting their butt chewed out. Believe me, when I find out, I'll be sure to report back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Most controllers try had to do the right thing. Every once in a while you get one who is a real jerk. There used to be a female controller at Allentown (KABE) Approach who figured that the easiest way to reduce her work load was not to talk to anybody: "Aircraft calling Allentown Approach remain clear of Allentown Class Charlie".

Sometimes the waiting game by the tower can work the other way. I went to a fly-in at Lancaster, PA (KLNS) some years back. The tower estimated that we had about 100 aircraft there, and I was the only helicopter (the R22 we used to own).

When it got to be time to leave, everybody was departing about the same time. In exasperation, the tower broadcast to the fixed-wingers "This is Lancaster tower. I don't want anybody calling me unless you're number one for takeoff".

I mean there were like 10-15 airplanes waiting to depart from each runway.

I got ready to go, called the tower, and got an immediate response:

Lancaster tower, helicopter seven-five-two-seven-delta

November seven-five-two-seven-delta, Lancaster tower

Seven-five-two-seven-delta is in the grass opposite the west ramp with kilo. Request departure to the southeast.

November seven-five-two-seven-delta cleared for southeast departure from your location. Remain south of runway thirteen-thirtyone.

10 seconds later I was airborne, while everybody else was waiting!