Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I made weight!

I've made it... I'm under the maximum weight for the Robinson R22 helicopter. Success! I still have to lose some more, but talk about a reward for the effort.

I got this news today during my first meet with my Certified Flight Instructor, Kristie. While I did not get a chance to fly today, I did get the full walk through on the inner workings of the flight school. It really felt like the first days of school... books, supplies and even a new backpack. Well, not a backpack, actually - a flight bag.

While I'm sure I will need other books and supplies as I move through the program, here is what I needed:


Today I got a glimpse of the internal, light hearted, jabs between fixed wing and rotor craft pilots. Weather was pretty rough today and the field was covered with some mid-level clouds. As a result, all the student fixed wing flights were grounded until it lifted. The helicopters were still cleared to fly since they usually fly between 500 - 700ft. All the students and instructors were milling around in the dispatch room waiting for clearance. One of the instructors was explaining this fact to his student and said, "Nothing flying but the 'copters".

Kristie, responded back, "Yea, well, that is what we do... fly."

:)


Tomorrow morning is my first official 1-on-1 instruction... in the R22. Flight plan consists of a flight along Route 26 into downtown Portland, and a landing on one of the downtown heliports. It should be especially interesting as I will be doing this during morning rush-hour.

Stay tuned for the actual flight plan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool about the making the R22 W&B work! I am absolutely convinced that Robbie's make the best learning platform -- master the R22 and you can fly just about anything! It's also great that your CFI is exposing you to non-airport environments early on -- a helipad is no more difficult to land on than a runway...