Saturday, March 8, 2008

2nd Solo

Flight #: 047
CFI: Kristie H.
Aircraft: Robinson R22 Beta II
Aircraft ID: N8340S
Duration: 1.1hrs
As PIC: 0.5hrs
Cumulative Time: 52.5hrs

The second solo... beautiful. This time Kristy got a chance to take some video... which you probably already saw below. Beautiful day.

I got a few questions about the details behind a "supervised solo". Basically what happens is this:
  • I complete the pre-fligh check.
  • I sign us up on the flight board.
  • I run-up, lift off into a hover, and then head over to Charlie pattern. Kristie is along for the ride, but not on the controls.
  • We execute a few patterns, usually 3, and then set down on the taxiway.
  • Kristie then radios the tower, and the other two helicopters in Charlie pattern that "8340S is a student solo for the next 30 minutes." If cleared by the tower, she jumps out and sits down in the grass just outside the pattern in Charlie. She bring a hand-held radio to keep track of my tower communications, etc... to make sure I don't request clearance to fly to Brazil, I guess.
  • I then lift off into a hover, request Charlie, and fly patterns for the next 30 minutes.
  • After 30 minutes, or when Kristie flags me down, I settle back on the taxiway, pick her up, and then head back to the ramp.
  • I then to the shutdown, post-flight check, and sign us off the board.

That's it. The point of it all is to give me PIC (Pilot in Command) time in a safe environment that I already know.

Next flight... 100% pure solo.

No comments: