Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ramp Solo. Nothing but net.

Flight #: 048
Aircraft: Robinson R22 Beta II
Aircraft ID: N956SH
Duration: 1.4hrs
As PIC: 1.4hrs
Cumulative Time: 53.9hrs

Today was the 100% solo. It is called a ramp solo since it starts and ends on the ramp. Good name, eh?

Anyway, I did it all. Kristie showed up at 7:30am to sign the board (part of the rules), and headed home. Funny to see her out of her flight gear. Kind of like seeing your teacher at the store... just out of place. A woman walking up in a hooded sweatshirt... almost didn't recognize her.

Flight was the same as all the other Charlie pattern flight, except for one thing. I was the only one there. Just me. Zipping around at 60knots in the cool morning sky.

I can't really describe it. It was fun and I was pumped full of adrenaline the whole flight. Even though I was excited, it was relaxing at the same time. Only other time I felt something similar was being with my friends on vacation; out in our individual kayaks on a still and calm lake at sunset up in Canada. You are supremely aware of everything going on around you. Everything looks different, even though you have seen it all before. Things are calm, but you are alert and full of energy.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about... that's ok. We'll go on a flight some time, and I'll show you.

No comments: