Saturday, March 15, 2008

Triangle of Lost - The full story.

Ok, so I was shaken, grumpy and pissed off after my last XC flight. I got lost, and I hate that. I suppose I really did not feel like talking about it too much. But, I thought about it a lot, and will guarantee that I will NOT get lost on that flight again. I've spent the last few days reading over the all the airports within a reasonable distance and looking both on the sectional map, and Google's satellite imagery.

So, here is the full story. How I got in, how I got out, etc. (Mainly for you, Bob. :)

The planned flight plan is as shown here:
HIO is at the 12 O'Clock position, Mulino at 4 O'Clock, McMinneville at the 7 O'Clock. The part I'm interested in here is at the lower portion of the triangle. So, lets zoom a bit:

So, it all started as I was entering the airspace for Mulino airport (green arrow). There was a 9 knot wind blowing from 130º (black arrow).

When you do your flight planning, you need to know about your airports. Their traffic patterns, runway lengths and directions, etc. Well, I did all that. I knew that Mulino had one runway strip, labeled Runway 14 and Runway 32. If you didn't know, they name the runways so that you can tell which direction they are facing. In this case, oriented to 140º and 320º, respectively.


So, anyway, I knew this. And since you want to land into the wind, whenever possible, the airports with a control tower will select the appropriate runway for you. In this case, there was no tower, so you have to rely on your knowledge, and the knowledge of the other people flying in the airport. The active runway is suppose to be Runway 14 with the wind coming from 130º. It just is. It also happens to be a right air traffic pattern runway. This means, that you are supposed to make right hand turns all the way to landing. Since I was coming in from the North West, I could have, technically come right in to the runway, almost straight on. But, that's not the cool thing to do. You are supposed to enter the downwind leg at 45º and make your right turns in. The image below shows a left pattern, but you get the idea. Just flip it so that you would land making right turns:

In my case, I would have to fly past the airport to the west, make a wide left turn so as to come in at 45º on the downwind leg and then enter the pattern. As a side note, while you always want to check the weather system broadcast in the area, you only trust what you can see. And luckily for me, there were a few wind indicators in the are for me to look at. Things like wind socks are always nice near an airport... but out west here, people tend to burn leaves and brush. And this day there were two fires going within about 1/2 mile of the runway. So, I was 100% sure of the wind. So, I broadcast my intention to "enter the right-downwind for Taxiway 14". We can land on taxiways or runways. It's cool of us not to take up runway space... and it is safer too.

Ok, enough background. So, I veer off to the right of runway 14 to make my wide left turn into the pattern when we see some dude in an airplane taking off on runway 32. The opposite direction on the runway. Taking off with a 9 knot tail wind. Not smart. Not to mention dangerous. So, I do a go around, and make a right hand turn to re-enter on the downwind. As I get about 270º in my turn, this dude that just took off cuts hard left and comes way too close to my flight path. Granted, I was at 800ft (as I'm suposed to be) and he was probably climbing past 1200, but still... not cool dude. So, I re-announce where I am, and what I'm doing. This wakes the airplane dude up, I guess, and he broadcast a quick "sorry about that, did not see you guys there". Huh? Really? I'm in a bright red helicopter with a giant rotating blade with my lights on... exactly where I said I would be. But, ok... fine. Stuff happens, and we were really not that close.

So, I do another go around. And we hear, on the radio another fixed winger come on the radio " at 1000ft, on the right downwind for runway 32." Kristy says "Screw this place, get us out of here." Basically another dude in an airplane was using the wrong runway, again. This time for a landing. But, rather than making left patterns for runway 32, as he is supposed to do, he's doing right ones. What a mess.

I turn off to the west and we just skip this approach at Mulino. In hindsight, we should have come on the radio with a "Mulino traffic, wind indicators clearly show that runway 14 should be in operation, not 32. Please check wind." But, we didn't. Totally one of those things you think of 5 minutes after you need it. But, all is well, and we're headed north west to Aurora with a bit of a tailwind.

A few minutes in to this leg Kristy says, "The FAA just called there is an accident in Aurora, divert to Lenhardt". Obviously the FAA did not call, she was just giving me a scenario to deal with. I didn't know where Lendhart was, so I had to look a little on the map. (To save you some time, it is the red arrow.)

So, I look it up on the map, estimate my course and direction and head to Lendhart. Eventually I see it off to the left, quite a ways away. I point it out to Kristy, and she gives me the OK to head to McMinneville. So, looking at the map, I head due west. I forgot to correct for wind... and this was my big flaw. I was heading NW. A lot more north than I expected, at least. I also think the wind had picked up a little, cause, as you will see, I was way off.

I was flying along to my next checkpoint, a significant bend in the river. What I was looking for is the blue circled area below. What I was flying over was the red circled area. I was way north of where I wanted to be. As I crossed the river, I saw this town... which, according to my plan, is not supposed to be there. As you can see, it was the town of Newberg. But, when I planned this out, I was not supposed to cross the river and see a town. So, wham, I'm lost.

The lost procedures are "the 5 C's". Calm, Climb, Circle, Calculate, Communicate. So, I take a deep breath, start climbing, and start doing a right hand circle. I start looking at the land, my map, etc. I find a significant feature on the ground below me, an island in the river. OK, great, there has to be an island on the map. So, I look, where I think I'm supposed to be... the blue circle. No island on the map. Shit. So, I conclude that either the island is not big enough to be on the map, or else I'm nowhere near this point on the map. First thing I do is look for an island in the river elsewhere on the map. And I don't see anything withing a reasonable flying distance. So, I'm now sure that this island I'm circling over, now at 3000ft, must not be big enough to show up.

So, screw this river, I think... now I'll look for a town. I should be seeing St. Paul to my south. (Remember, I think I'm in the blue, but am actually in the red circle). Nope, no St. Paul. Only this huge town to the north of the river. Could I be seeing Lafayette? Dayton? Where the F am I! Kristy is with me, of course, and being very calm. She knows exactly where we are... just wants me to struggle through. Which, is a great teaching tool, but it pissed me off. I'm now at 4000ft, circling like a moron, getting all twisted up.


Finally she speak up and says, "What are you using for your fix?" and I said, mention that I'm looking for the island in the river as well as the direction of the bend. "Are you looking for a 'C' to the east or a 'n' shaped bend to the south?". I believe I'm in the blue, so I'm looking for a 'C' to the east, but I'm actually in the red over a 'n' to the south.

This helps, obviously, and I suddenly realize I'm about 10nm north of where I need to be, and bolt to the south. I immediately identify my correct river bend, and see St. Paul and recognize what happened. I am now at about 4500ft and start to descend to my planned 2000ft altitude.

Once I get there I head west, this time, remembering the wind and make it to McMinneville as planned (the green arrow).

So, while not a total crisis, it really did throw me. In our post-flight review we went over what happened, and I had a real chance to look over the map.

Wanna see something? That friggin island in the river I was over? It is on the map, just under the text, "178". Right under the "7". If I had only seen that on the map... this would have been a "Huh? Where am I? Oh, here. Ok, no biggie."


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh. Thanks for posting the whole story -- there's lots to learn from that.

1. Did you verify the winds at Mulino by looking at the windsock, or did you assume conditions were the same as the ASOS at Aurora reported? Also at some airports a preferred runway is used in light winds regardless of wind direction.

2. On pattern entry. The ONLY thing the FAA requires is that airplanes fly left traffic (ie. all left turns) unless a runway is designated as RP. Helicopters are not constrained -- you may make either right or left traffic at the whim of the pilot.

Note that while the AIM talks about a 45 degree downwind entry there is no requirement that you enter the pattern in this manner.

In point of fact, there is nothing at all wrong with a straight-in approach if it doesn't screw up other traffic. There's also nothing wrong with entering the downwind or base legs without making turns. Same caveat about traffic, though.

In gereal, I will choose the entry which gets me on the ground the fastest. This may avoid the traffic pattern entirely -- for example, the runway at my home field is 9-27. If there's a strong north wind, I might elect to approach midfield from the south and land into the wind on the taxiway.

3. Getting unlost. Going up was good -- you certainly get a better view from nosebleed territory!

You also might have been able to tell where you were at by the towns. A town directly to the north of the river bend would have been been Newberg and located you in the red, if the town was to the west of the river, then you would have been in the blue. It's also possible (not necessarily likely)that you might have been able to spot the Newberg VOR. Another issue was that the river trends east from the bend in the red area, and north-south from the blue area, and this might have given you a clue.

Anyway, you got unlost, and that's a good thing!